Sunday 11 October 2015

This past week, I had the pleasure of visiting the Gran Karting Lanzarote circuit whilst on holiday in- you guessed it - Lanzarote!

The facility was fully FIA approved & boasted a billiard-table smooth track surface as well as spectacular views of the sea & mountains. As well as getting to sample a couple of the circuit's hire karts, I was treated to the sights & sounds of gearbox karts pounding around the circuit. Several drivers were out on track, practicing for the final round of a national competition, I was told. The performance of those karts looked absolutely phenomenal, like four-wheeled super bikes- amazing!

My laps of the full 'international' circuit yielded a best time of 1.09.021, with a top speed of 66.74 Km/h-obviously way off the times being set by the gearbox drivers, but I still finished top of the group in both of my sessions. My best lap was good enough for a place inside the Top 10 times for that particular day. 

The track itself had a few very fast corners as well as some tricky hairpin bends. A layer of gravel had been dragged onto the racing line on the entry to one of the left-hand turns, which made for a few sideways moments! Overall though I felt comfortable on the long, winding circuit and the sight of the sun setting behind the mountains as we lapped the track is a memory I won't forget for a while. To finish our last session under floodlights after starting in the day was reminiscent of a certain Middle-Eastern GrandPrix, at least that's what I told myself anyway! 

I would recommend a visit to Gran Karting if you ever find yourself in Lanzarote- the circuit will even provide free transport to & from your hotel should you desire. Below is a link to the track's website, go check it out if you have a moment:

www.grankarting.com

Keep on motorin'!

Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment